A family in Chester are seeking a refund from an indoor water park – after they blamed high levels of chlorine forcing them out of the pool and making them feel like they were on fire.
Christopher and Gemma Richards and their seven-year-old son Mason had visited Waterworld in Stoke-on-Trent last Sunday.
But they want their £70 back after claiming the trip was ruined by high levels of chlorine in the water, StokeLive reports.
Find out more about the best stories from all over Cheshire here.
It comes as a Nottinghamshire family also requested a refund after visiting the resort on the same day. During their visit, Annabelle Curwood, her five-year-old daughter, rushed to A&E with “prickly” eyes.
The Richards family entered the pool at 10:20 a.m. on Sunday.
Christopher, 37, said: “As soon as we walked in by the pool there was a strong smell of chemicals.
“As we walked around and started going up the high slides, the higher we went the more smoke there was. When we got to the top our eyes started to sting and burn.
“We went down the slide and when we got into the water we felt him physically hitting us. Our skin started to itch. We just thought our skin wasn’t used to the water, so we kept doing what we were doing.
“Twenty minutes later we saw a lifeguard rubbing his eyes really hard so we went to see him. We asked him if he also suffered from chlorine and he replied “yes”. He told us not to worry.
“We sat sideways for about half an hour, then got back into the pool, before realizing it was getting worse. We sat sideways again.
“We saw there was a lifeguard walking around handing out water bottles and eye washes to other lifeguards. I asked what was going on.
Christopher says staff advised the family to wash their eyes after complaints were made.
He added: “We went to take a shower and then as we were leaving we asked to speak to a manager.
“A member of staff said the manager was on the phone and it would take a while. I said “you have an upset customer” so she came back but when she came back she said we had to wait.
“At that point another couple, from Nottingham, came over and said they were also waiting to see a manager.
“It was like our eyes were burning, they were on fire. It was really uncomfortable. We asked if we got a refund and they said ‘no’.
“We were supposed to be there for three and a half hours, but we had only been there for about an hour and had been sitting sideways for 50 minutes.
“I spent £70 and drove all the way from Chester which took an hour and 10 minutes. They should give a refund and an apology.
A Waterworld spokesperson said: “All pool testing and engine room operating procedures were followed and fully adhered to, as is standard. There were no breaches of safety protocols. health and safety.
“As a company, we want our customers to be treated fairly. We do our best to ensure that all customers leave with a smile.
“We believe the duty manager has done everything he can to remedy the situation and provide a solution.”